Monday, January 30, 2006

Today, blessings abound. Let me tell you about it.

I had to go to the social security office today to figure out what the hold-up is in getting B's Social Security Number. I dropped the kids off at Ami's house and headed out. Bethany made not a single peep when I left (171.) There was nowhere to park in the parking lot at the SS Office. So, I parked on a side street, for free (172) and walked a short distance to the office. The weather was beautiful (173.)

I walked in the office, and lots of people were milling around. But there was an empty seat (174) so I sat in it. I quickly filled out a new application for a card in case the first one had been misplaced. Then, I read about 1 1/2 chapters of my book (175.)

When they called my number the lady behind the desk did some investigating. She went back to check with the guy who received the original application and documents. He still has them, he just hasn't gotten to them yet.

She couldn't tell me when they'd be processed. And she didn't know what they'd do if any of the documents I'd provided were deemed unacceptable as proof of Bethany's birth, existence, adoption, etc. So, I told her my predicament: that someone has to notify me if the documents are not acceptable otherwise I will be waiting for a card that is never going to come. I explained that I'd consider calling the office to check back, but the phone is always busy. (I tried for two days and never got through.) She was very polite and apologetic (176.)

Then she just happened to ask the "right" question (177.) "Did you have any new documents that you'd like to submit."

I had already submitted Bethany's stamped passport as evidence of her citizenship. In fact the very purpose of the stamp is to prove citizenship until you get a certificate of citizenship in the mail. Well, since my last trip to the office, the certificate arrived. I didn't offer it earlier, becaust it didn't prove anything they didn't already have proof of. But I offered it when she asked. She seemed to recognize it immediately, and seemed delighted that I had it (178.) Then she looked at the the little picture of Bethany that is affixed to the certificate and said "She is beautifu!" (179) "Yes, she is," I replied. She copied the certificate and put it with the rest of our papers.

Now, we need to "readopt" Bethany so that we can get a US birth certificate, officially change her name, and to put all of her adoption formalities onto the record in the US (just in case anything ever comes into question.) Had we done this already, we wouldn't be having these problems. And, the lady behind the desk tried to tell me this. The problem is that we just can't get all of that done before April... and we need to file our taxes.

So, I told the lady what our adoption agency advised us to do: get a social security number in Bethany's Chinese name, and as a resident alien. Then, after we readopt, we just change her name and status on her social security card.

"OOOhhhh!" she said. "So you don't want her new name on the card?"

"No, we can change it later. We just want a number," I told her.

So, the lady began writing all of this on a post-it note to add to our growing pile of paperwork. She seemed to think that this made a big difference (180) and she wanted to give the information to the man who would process our forms.

So, we will wait and see. At one point it seemed like I was going to walk out of there without getting anything accomplished. But somehow (God!) the conversation turned and I was able to present two new pieces of information that just might make a difference (181.) So, Praise the LORD!

But I'm not done.

Cuz, on my way home there was a Rally's. There was plenty of change in the "ashtray" to get a combo (182.) So, I got a cheeseburger, fries, and a coke (183.) Just so you know, I don't get to eat at Rally's often. I love Rally's.

And the guy at the drive thru window was just plain nice. And as I drove away, I felt so blessed just by having someone be nice! (184.)

When I got back to Ami's house, everyone was playing so nicely. And the first words out of Ami's mouth were (regarding Bethany) "She was SO good!" (185.) Then she told me how much she enjoyed just holding her while Bethany had her bottle (186.) How nice is that?

So, if NOTHING else was accomplished today, I got a two-hour break to be by myself, read, and eat a Rally's combo... while my kids played happily at a friend's house, and my friend enjoyed having them there.

Nice, God. Nice!

No comments: