Monday, March 13, 2006

Lord Jesus,
Your Word is a firm foundation. I don't know why I neglect it so much. But it steadies me every time. I know you were with me today. I didn't always think of you when I needed to, but I know you were there. And even though the day is just about over, I am giving it to you. You know why. Mud. Tantrums. Clinginess. Demands. Thwarted attempts to accomplish something... anything. Hey, at least we got dinner on the table! Thank you for being there. And thank you for being here now. Thank you for sitting with me and not telling me all the things I did wrong today. I already know. I shouldn't have yelled. I should have been more decisive. I should have paid more attention, spent more time. Thanks for not saying those things to me. Thanks for just telling me "I love you, and I will help you tomorrow." And thank you that tomorrow, you'll say the same thing. And thank you for every tomorrow that you'll tell me that. I am relieved to know that you are able to draw my children to you, despite me. You use them to teach me "less of me." And even though I buck you on that, I want to say thanks for that too. And thanks again for the gentleness and the listening ear, and the encouragement (especially tonight) - because sometimes that lesson hurts. Thank you for not being bothered or exhausted by my neediness. It exhausts me to have three people need me, I don't know how you do it. And I cannot fathom why you designed it that way. But thank you. Because I do need you - even when I don't act like it. I'm sorry that I tried to do this day in my own strength. Worked our real well, didn't it? I'm sorry for how that affects my kids. But mostly I am sorry that that keeps me from you. How sweet you are to smile at me instead of point your finger when I come skulking back in defeat. Thank you for being patient with me while I learn (and re-learn.) Thank you for Sunday and the encouragement you gave me during Sunday school. And for reminding me that prayer changes things. Thanks for your Word. And for your Words to me.

Psalm 62
My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.

He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

How long will you assault a man? Would all of you throw him down - this leaning wall, this tottering fence?

They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place; they take delight in lies. With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse.

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.

He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

Lowborn men are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie; if weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath.

Do not trust in extortion or take pride in stolen goods; though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them.

One thing God has spoken, two things I have heard: That you, O God, are strong,

and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done.

Amen.

(I think that counts as twenty.)

No comments: