Wednesday, April 26, 2006

1090. This morning was not so hot. Stunk, really. My mom called. After a few minutes of talking with her, my dad got on the other line so they were both able to talk. The kids were ALL OVER THE PLACE. I kept tending to them and my mom and dad would laugh at something one of them said, or they would say "who's that crying?" Etc.

Occasionally I would throw in a story if it related. They laughed when I was trying to be funny. But there were lots of stretches where none of us said anything. I just went about my day like I normally would, except that I had a phone attached to my head.

And finally I said something like: you know, you can say you have to go whenever you want. I'm sure that listening to me tending to my kids is not the most exciting thing in the world.

They both assured me that they enjoyed hearing it; just listening to me and the kids and what we were doing.

It sure was nice to have someone to "be there" for a while.

Later on this evening I was thinking about how that experience is really a picture of how God is. He is interested in the most mundane details. Even when no one is speaking, it is comforting when you know he is just "there" because he wants to be. And you know you aren't alone.

Now if only I could remember to walk around EVERY day as if I had the "God" phone attached to me, that might make a big difference!

1089. Bethany fell off of Lainee's bed today and she was fine.

1088. And when she fell off, I thought I heard Lainee say "OH! OH!" so sweetly, as if to say "poor baby." That is the first time I really remember her being empathetic like that and it was nice.

1087. Bethany's two FAVORITE nursery workers were in her room tonight at church. After the long day, I really wanted to have some peace during the service and not have to be summoned because she was crying uncontrollably. (This has been happening at church lately. And at home too, for that matter.) Anyway, the faves did a bang up job. She was crying when I left, but quite content when I returned... at the END of the service.

1086. I remembered to do the two things I needed to do at church tonight, and I got one extra thing done too! (That's a big deal for me... I always forget when I need to talk to someone or sign up for something.)

1085. Jonathan decided to use the toilet this evening. All by himself without even telling me. That in itself is a blessing. But then Lainee told me about it and was so excited. She was really trying to encourage him. I enjoyed seeing her kindness toward him.

1084. Watching Jonathan ride his tricycle today was so sweet. Earlier in the day he told me, "when I put my head back I can go fast!" I had no idea what he was talking about. But watching him made me see it right away. His not-quite-long-enough legs have a hard time pedalling, so he scootches up on his seat, pulls back on the handle bars and leans back so he can put all his weight on his feet... and keep them from slipping off the pedals (most of the time.) So cute.

1083. Bethany and Jonathan were content with grilled cheese for dinner. Lainee opted for chicken nuggets.

1082. I had the idea to "ride share" with another mom on Saturday as we transport our kids to/from a birthday party. I can never think of these things. But she was sitting next to me at church and we were talking about what to get for the party, and it just came to me. Talk about making life easier... this party is easily a 1/2 hour away.

1081. Seeing my son this morning, wearing a pillow case on his head, and declaring, "I am the royal king."

No comments: